Saturday, January 16, 2010

Walk To The Old Fort: Part 3. Old Fort - Fishing Area

The Old Fort. The trail entered the clearing from the woods to the left of the fort.
I stopped by the Old Fort yesterday to get a photo and remembered why I didn’t have a good one. The fort now sits against the wood at the south side of the clearing. It‘s in the shade of the woods most of the time. Yesterday, someone had lit a fire to heat and dry the interior of the fort.


I turned around at the edge of the woods and started back towards the Fishing Area. The path is relatively wide and well-worn and easy going.

I found a Southern Grapefern (Botrychium biternatum) – just one plant – just off north side of the path.

And then I spotted Cranefly Orchid (Tipularia discolor) leaves.I was really interested in seeing if I could find Cranefly Orchid leaves. This area would get its best light in the morning but is heavily wooded and would stay moister and more shaded in the summer than other areas in the park. Once I found this patch, I began to see them everywhere along the west side of this path. There were few on the eastern slope below the path.

Most of the leaves were among the fallen leaves but I found one small patch of Cranefly Orchid leaves at the base of a tree. This will be a pretty location when they bloom.

The trail continued to wind its way gently though the woods.

Until I was back at the Fishing Area bridge. To be continued…
Click on an image to view a larger image.

Resources:
- Southern (Sparselobe) Grapefern (Botrychium biternatum)
- Cranefly Orchid (Tipularia discolor)

Related post:
- Marburg Creek Reservoir: Fort Yargo State Park

No comments: