Sunday, June 19, 2016

Hiding In Plain Sight


June 16th, 2016. There is one log where I always look for Eastern Fence lizards (Sceloporus undulatus). In spring they sun themselves and look for mates. Then they disappear for the rest of the year; it’s unusual to see them at other times of the year. I checked the log as I passed the log on my way to the Old Fort – nothing. 

On my way back to the car park, I usually make sure my camera is set on ‘zoom’ and ready in case I find a lizard as I pass the log. On this day, I forgot.


I almost missed her. She was just sitting on the log, nicely posed – hiding in plain sight.

She saw me and froze. She stayed put while I got my camera ready,and while I took several shots. She even stayed while I sat down beside her. She didn’t move until I tried to take a close-up. That she objected to, and she shot off under my arm to safety somewhere in the leaf litter behind me.

Reference.
Savannah River Ecology Laboratory. Eastern Fence Lizard (Sceloporus undulatus)

No comments: