Saturday, July 23, 2011

Trumpet Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens): Berries & Seeds

Lonicera sempervirens is known by the common names Trumpet Honeysuckle and Coral Honeysuckle. So far, I’ve only seen it at Fort Yargo State Park where I saw several plants along the trail from the campground to the dam (segment 6). That’s what I wrote in June last year. I didn’t get a chance to follow the berry development then and the plants were set back by some clearing work along the lake’s shore. I saw some vines blooming at a distance in the woods across the road from Rock and Shoals Outcrop Natural Area but they were high in a tree and out of reach. And then, when we were looking for plants of the Clasping Milkvine (Ascelpias amplexicaulis), I spotted a vine in a dead tree at the side of White Plains Rd in Greene County, Georgia.

May 29, 2011. The vine is visible from a distance. The characteristic perfoliate leaves caught my eye.

May 29, 2011. A closer view. The berries were green.

*****
May 29, 2011. Close ups. Some clusters were showing slight tinges of red were others were still quite green.

June 11, 2011. Several berries have turned orange.

June 25th. The vine. Most of the berries are red.

June 25th. A close up.

July 9th. The berries have shriveled up and the seeds are ready to begin the next cycle of life.

Click on an image to view a larger image


Distribution Map:
- United States Department of Agriculture Plants Database: Lonicera sempervirens (Trumpet Honeysuckle)

- University of North Carolina Herbarium: Lonicera sempervirens


Identification resources:

- Southeastern Flora: Trumpet Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens)

- Natural and Naturalized Plants of the Carolinas and Georgia: Lonicera sempervirens

- Missouri Plants: Lonicera sempervirens


Related posts:

- 2010: Year Of The Wildflower

- Trumpet Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens)

2 comments:

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

Wow, what a striking plant and new to me.
As a side, I'm having trouble reading your words on my computer, the contrast isn't showing up well. Are any others having trouble with that? The pictures show up great, though so who needs words?
nellie

JSK said...

This plant should occur up your way. I do hope you can find one. The flowers are quite beautiful.

On the screen. The text with the photos is sky blue against an almost black background. For me, on my Mac, the contrast is clear. The side bar is more muted - gray on black. I can brighten that. I'll check my PC at work; the text with the photos might be more mute. If so, I can experiment and see if the contrast improves. Thanks for letting me know.