Sunday, October 25, 2009

Great Blue Heron

Some sunny weather at last. The temperature was 47F and the lake was smooth – to start with at least. The Blackgums (Nyssa sylvatica; Black Tupelo) started to change color a few weeks ago but other trees had shown little inclination to follow suit. In the last couple of days, however, many trees have started to change color in earnest.

This is a view of the shoreline above the boat launch (Segment 18) on Marburg Creek reservoir in Fort Yargo State Park.


Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

A Great Blue Heron (
Ardea herodias) flew to the point at Segment 11-12
when I entered Segment 11 and didn’t fly off when I rowed back. I pulled wide of the point and floated towards the point in the wind. The heron watched me closely but didn’t fly away until I was quite close.
Click on an image to view a larger image

No comments: