Saturday, June 20, 2009

Southern Leopard Frog: Rana sphenocephala

Moving in or overnight guest?

Last night as we were leaving for dinner, W noticed this Southern Leopard frog sitting on the edge of the whiskey barrel. I had my camera with me and managed to get this shot; it’ s not the greatest but it was taken in low light. When I tried to get closer, the frog slipped gracefully into the water and out of sight.

When we got back, I checked again. There it was, sitting half out of the water. I managed to get much closer and used flash to get a shot. Apparently it felt much safer in the dark. It didn’t move.

When I checked this morning, it didn’t appear to be there. Just an overnight guest, I guess.


Identification resource:
- Frogs and Toads of Georgia: Southern Leopard Frog (Rana sphenocephala)

Click on an image to view a larger image

No comments: