Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dragonfly: Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis)

The Eastern Pondhawk is another of my favorite dragonflies. Most of the larger dragonflies that, when disturbed, fly in long circuits before returning to a favorite perch. In contrast, the Eastern Pondhawk may just calmly fly a short distance – often just a foot or so - to a new perch or even hover in the same spot and return to the same spot.


Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis) - Male

I saw the male first this year - by the greenhouse. I managed to approach him within a few feet and got some shots.




Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis) - Female

I didn’t see the female until about two weeks later. She was nervous the first time I saw her but, a day or so later, she let me get within a few feet of her too.

Identification resources:

- Bug Guide: Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis) [male] [female]

- Dragonflies of Georgia: Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis)

Click on the image to view a larger image

No comments: