Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Common Green Darner: Just Hanging Out…

We’ve had another cold front. Lows around 50F; highs in the mid70s. We’re definitely into Fall now. This weather front was ushered in by a day or so of quite cool, breezy conditions.

I wandered into the blueberry patch, a sunny area protected from the wind, to photograph a flower of a tall Goldenrod. Then, quite to my surprise - one of those 'I don't know what made me look' moments - I spotted this female Common Green Darner hanging onto a branch of one of the blueberry bushes and basking in the warm sun.

Murphy’s Law prevailed. My camera batteries chose to go completely flat at that very instant. I’ve learned to carry spare batteries so that wasn’t a problem but I was afraid that she would leave while I was loading new batteries. Fortune smiled. She didn’t leave and she posed quite prettily while I took these photos.


My first sighting…

A zoom photo…

A macro photo…

Identification resources:

- Dragonflies of Georgia: Common Green Darner (Anax junius)
- BugGuide: Common Green Darner (Anax junius) [Male] [Female]
Click the image to view a larger image

No comments: