Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)

This post was submitted to I and the Bird #121. Visit Birder's Lounge to read more great posts about birds.

I drove around the last corner before our drive and this Turkey Vulture (
Cathartes aura) was feasting on something small in the center of the road. It flew up into a nearby tree. At first it seemed wary of my presence. After a short time it seemed more curious than wary.
Click on the image to view a larger image

Identification resources:

- The Cornell Institute of Ornithology: Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)

2 comments:

Joy K. said...

I love to watch these fly. A big flock of them used to roost in a tree nearby. They huddled like crotchety old men, hunched over, complaining whenever some newcomer flew in and shook the branches.

JSK said...

A perfect description!

I love to watch them prancing awkwardly around their meals. Wish I could get more photos of them.