Sunday, September 12, 2010

Eastern Fence Lizard: The Next Generation

I’d seen a lot of lizards – both Eastern Fence Lizards (Sceloporus undulates) and lined skinks (Eumeces sp.) - along the trail south of the Fishing Area (segment 13) in the Spring. Usually, a scampering sound through the leaves is the first sign of a lizard. I’d been thinking that I hadn’t heard or seen lizards for a month or so.

And then last weekend, I heard that tell-tale sound again. I looked down and there it was. A young Eastern Fence Lizard about 4 inches long. I was lucky that it stopped in a small clearing where I could photograph it. It didn’t seem overly concerned and just seemed to be looking at me out of the corner of its eye.

On the way back to the Fishing Area, I had to cross a bridge. Just as I reached the end where I had to step down, I saw a tiny head peeking over the edge of the tread. Before I could photograph it, it scampered up onto the tread where it stopped for a few seconds to contemplate its next move. Unlike its cousin, it had cocked its head and was looking directly at me. A few seconds later, it scampered along the tread and disappeared over the edge of the tread.

This is the first time I've seen juvenile Eastern Fence lizards so it was quite a treat.
Click on an image to view a larger image


Identification resources:

- Lizards of Georgia and South Carolina: Eastern Fence Lizard (Sceloporus undulates)

No comments: