Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Chipping Sparrow With Spunk

It was the day I photographed the Yellow-rumped Warbler (Dendroica coronata). I was frustrated that neither these nor the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius) would pose for me. As much as I wanted to photograph birds in a natural setting, I decided to perch on the ladder about 15 ft from the bird seed feeders and see if I could get some pics.

Of course, all of the birds – mostly Carolina Chicadees (Poecile carolinensis), Tufted Titmice (Baeolophus bicolor) and Northern Cardinals (Cardinalis cardinalis) flew off when I walked around the house to the ladder. The first bird to return to the feeder was this Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina).


*****
*****

The Chipping Sparrow quietly stuck to its guns and continued to eat seed without showing signs of fear although it was very watchful.
Click on an image to view a larger image


Identification resources:

- The Cornell Institute of Ornithology: Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)

- Sibley, D. A. 2001. National Audobon Society: The Sibley Guide to Birds. Chipping Sparrow. p. 485. Alfred A. Knopf, New York.


Related posts:

- Yellow-rumped Warbler (Dendroica coronata)

- Yellow-bellied Sapsucker: Right Under Our Noses

2 comments:

Larry said...

People may call many different sparrows "Little Brown Jobs" but I content that they are beautiful birds all, in their own right. The many varied plumages these little birds sport are gorgeous. Nice shots Joan! It is Joan right?

JSK said...

I have to confess that I'm guilty of calling them 'Little Brown Jobs' too. I'd love to be able to identify them all. It just seems overwhelming. But when I get a chance to get good photos, I'm putting the effort into figuring out who they are. They're worth it!
Yes, it's Joan.