Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina)

April 20th, 2012. We were driving back from Hancock County when we encountered this...

Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina) in the middle of the road. Since we’re among the legions of people who move turtles off the road and out of danger, I walked over to pick it up. Most turtles retreat into their shells.

This turtle didn’t. It seemed more curious than concerned.

It didn’t retreat but watched me.

Even when I picked it up and walked it over to the edge of the road, it kept watching me. I put it down to make its way off into the bush. An interesting encounter compared with most.
Click on an image to view a larger image


Identification resource:

- Savannah River Ecology Laboratory: Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina)

No comments: