Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I’m Just A Lowly Cabbage White, But I’m A Pretty Cabbage White

May 26th, 2012. The Cabbage White (Pieris rapae) butterfly is quite common. It occurs throughout Georgia from mid-March to early November. For all that, it’s not an easy butterfly to photograph. It tends to be on the move so we took the opportunity to photograph one that was feeding on wildflowers in the Scull Shoals Experimental Forest in Greene County, Georgia.

In the sun…

In the shade…

Up close.

It was nice to have an opportunity to see this common but somewhat elusive butterfly up close.
Click on an image to view a closer image


Identification resources:

- Butterflies and Moths of North America: Cabbage White (Pieris rapae)

- BugGuide:
Cabbage White (Pieris rapae) [Male] [Female] [Side]

Related post:

- Butterfly: Cabbage White (Pieris rapae)

2 comments:

Kay G. said...

What is your secret? Do you know how to hypnotize a butterfly or something? I can never get one to be still enough for a photo!

JSK said...

Wish I did know how to hypnotize them. It's just luck. I can't count the number I haven't been able to photograph.