Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis): In Out Of The Cold

March 10th, 2013. I’ve been cleaning out the greenhouse, re-potting water plants, and planting new seeds. I was working quietly and not making much noise when, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed some movement. I looked down and spotted a Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis) on a concrete base for a support column. It was fairly early in the morning and still cool. The anole was brown, similar to another I had photographed in 2009. I backed away and went back to the house to get my camera. Too late. As I suspected, it had disappeared by the time I returned. But, it was likely that it had taken up Winter residence in the greenhouse and I’d have an opportunity to see it again. Time to start carrying my camera every time I go to the greenhouse.



I was in a greenhouse a few days later and, again, noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. This time on the edge of a water container.


A big, healthy anole – green this time - was basking on the edge of a large water container. It didn’t really seem to want to leave but it decided to put a little more distance between itself and me.


It made its way across the floor and up a bench support and onto a frame where it…


Watched me for a minute or so before it moved away out of sight.


I don’t think it appreciated me intruding on ‘its space’ in this warm greenhouse when it was relatively cold outside in the windy March weather.

Click on an image to view a larger image



Identification Resources:

University of Georgia Museum of Natural History: Green Anole(Anolis carolinensis)

Related posts:






No comments: