Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina)


November 11th, 2014. The temperatures were reaching the high 60s. It was quite cool in the shade and the breeze was cool when I was on the ridges. The sun was pleasantly warm in areas sheltered from the breeze. 

I was riding down a road in southeastern Walton County when I saw a ‘bump’ on the road. It seemed that the only thing that would look like that was a turtle but I thought it was too late in the year to see one.

As I got closer, though, it became clear that it was a turtle – an Eastern Box Turtle making its way across the road.

I took the obligatory close-up.

Then I moved it off the road into the grass in the direction it was headed when I saw it.
 
Interestingly, this was the only Eastern Box Turtle I’ve seen this year.

No comments: