Monday, May 24, 2010

Yellow Woodsorrels (Oxalis spp.)

There may be as many as five yellow Oxalis spp. In Georgia. I thought I had only identified two species but, upon reviewing photographs, I think I have found three species
  • Yellow Woodsorrel (Oxalis stricta)
  • Tufted Yellow Woodsorrel (Oxalis priceae)
  • Great Yellow Woodsorrel (Oxalis grandis)
I have identified them based on their flower color. I can’t find good photographs to let me know if I am correct – or not - and would appreciate feedback if these identifications are incorrect. I will probably revisit these next year and revise, if necessary.

I have to smile when I prepare this post. Oxalis were considered a pest where I grew up in Australia. My father would spend hours weeding oxalis – a purple species – from our gardens. He is probably spinning in his grave as I respectfully document Oxalis spp. as wildflowers.


*****
All plants appeared similar

Oxalis stricta. The petals are yellow with little or no red color. If the red color is present, there is just a suggestion of red

Oxalis priceae. The red color is unmistakable; concentrated and distinct

Oxalis grandis. The red color is unmistakable, in clear patches and somewhat diffuse

These Oxalis spp. are native to the United States. Oxalis stricta grows widely in the United States and Canada; notably this species does not grow in the southwestern states. Oxalis grandis and Oxalis priceae are limited to the southeastern U.S.
Click on an image to view a larger image


Distribution Map:

United States Department of Agriculture Plants Database:

- Great Yellow Woodsorrel (Oxalis grandis)

- Yellow Woodsorrel (Oxalis stricta)

- Tufted Yellow Wodsorrel (Oxalis priceae)


University of North Carolina Herbarium:

- Great Yellow Woodsorrel (Oxalis grandis)

- Yellow Woodsorrel (Oxalis stricta)


Identification resources:

Southeastern Flora:

- Great Yellow Woodsorrel (Oxalis grandis)

- Yellow Woodsorrel (Oxalis stricta)

- Tufted Yellow Wodsorrel (Oxalis priceae)


Related posts:

- 2010: Year Of The Wildflower

No comments: