Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Spring Is In The Air: Fort Yargo State Park, Section B To The Dam, May 28th

May 28th. When I visited Fort Yargo State Park in mid-February, there were few signs of Spring. The only wildflower plants that were obvious were the leaves of Cranefly Orchids (Tipularia discolor) that I found in many places.




The route… I’ve described it here, here, here, and here This walk doesn’t have the variety of wildflowers as my other walk from the Group A Shelter to the Old Fort but it does have some gems. One of the Smallflower (Asimina parviflora) had developed fruit that, unfortunately, it had lost; the Pink Lady’s Slipper (Cypripedium acaule) Orchids had bloomed, and some Green Adder’s-mouth (Malaxis unifolia) Orchids were blooming. 

We’d had thunderstorms with winds for several days including the previous evening. I found a lichen that had fallen during the storm. When I picked it up, the branch under it disintegrated and I was left with just the…



lichen, Perforated Ruffle Lichen (Parmotrema perforatum). I placed it on the side of the trail. 


I was curious if the rain had revived the Witch’s Butter (Tremella mesenterica) jelly fungus near the ‘Christmas Fern Grove.’ It had re-hydrated.

 
May 15th, 2015

 
May 28th, 2015


The Pipsissewa (Chimaphila maculata) plants on this trail were blooming too.

It’s not often that I see water on the trail


I headed up ‘The Hill’



The Tulip Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera) fruit - a cone-like aggregate of samaras (winged seeds) - had water droplets from the rain.



The Swamp Rose (Rosa palustris) at the dam was still blooming.



The sun was trying to break through as I started down the trail from the dam. 


I still have to look around for the…



Perfoliate Bellwort (Uvularia perfoliata) that was developing a seed capsule, but I did find it and it’s still healthy.



It was relatively cool. No need to rest on the bench.



The Green Adder’s-mouth Orchids (Malaxis uniflora) were still blooming. I was worried that the heavy rains would damage them but they were fine.



Just a little further along the trail, I wanted to check on the…



Pipsissewa plants that, also, were blooming



At the top of The Hill again. The bench was a little damp that morning. 


Back on the open, flat section of the trail a…



Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia) was soaking up some warmth. 


On the way back through one of the short wooded sections near the end of the trail, I noticed these…



Butterfly Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) flower buds. I had missed them in the shadows on the way out. There were just two plants; I’d forgotten they were there.
 

Then back to the parking lot

Related posts: 






















No comments: