Friday, July 3, 2009

Southern Pearly-Eye (Enodia portlandia)

In contrast to the Red Admiral and Eastern Comma, I’ve only seen the Southern Pearly-Eye butterfly on the flood plain at the creek, not higher up on the path. And I’ve seen several Southern Pearly-Eyes in contrast to only seeing one each of the other two butterflies.

The first time, I spooked one in the woods and it landed on a plant in an opening where W and J had dug a pool to encourage frogs to breed. This butterfly spent a few minutes on the plant before to flew off into the woods again.


The second butterfly I was able to photograph was in the woods. Again I spooked it and it landed on the trunk of a nearby tree. I was able to make my way through the brush and take several photos.

Identification resources:
- West Central Georgia Butterflies by Michael Beohm: Southern Pearly-Eye (Enodia portlandia)

- BugGuide: Southern Pearly-Eye (Enodia portlandia)

Click the image to view a larger image

No comments: