Monday, November 2, 2009

Deer: Southern White-tailed (Odocoileus virginianus virginianus)

A number of Southern White-tailed Deer consider our property part of their range. They have many trails in the woods behind the house and, occasionally, they will graze close to the house. They will also loiter in the woods until dusk and then either bed down for the night in the long grass in the field or cross the front field to the woods on the vacant property next door. That’s where I saw them tonight when I arrived home.


A doe and two fawns...

Both fawns now have adult coloring. I think one is now two years old and the second is a yearling. I encountered these fawns a few months ago when the younger still had a spotted coat. It was late one afternoon when I was walking in the front field. When I saw them, the younger fawn had made it out across the field to one of the apple trees. The older fawn lingered at the edge of the woods; I think it had seen me. It signaled the younger fawn who retreated back to the edge of the woods. They loitered at the edge of the woods. I settled under the edge of the woods on the other side of the field in the hope that they would cross the field and I could get some photos. On that occasion they were more patient than I was.

Today was different. The doe and the younger fawn were watchful. The older fawn ignored me. It is interesting that the older fawn which was nervous a few months ago is now the more independent and adventurous of the two.

No comments: