Friday, November 20, 2009

False Katydid: Scudder's Bush Katydid (Scudderia sp.)

This Scudder’s Bush Katydid is one of the few larger insects at home now. It was hanging out in the butterfly bush last weekend.

When I approached it, it turned turned its back on me…

Then it hung upside down with its back towards me…

Then it hung upside down...

I’m not sure if this was a Fork-tailed Bush Katydid (Scudderia furcata) or a Southeastern Bush Katydid (Scudderia cuneata). These photos don’t have the detail to identify it conclusively.

Click on an image to view a larger image


Identification resource:
BugGuide:
- Fork-tailed Bush Katydid (Scudderia furcata)

- Southeastern Bush Katydid (Scudderia cuneata)

1 comment:

jason said...

Katydids always fascinate me. Great photos of a beautiful critter. And funny with the back turning and all. Delightful!