Saturday, May 29, 2010

Butterfly: Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis)

A couple of weeks ago, I walked into a wooded section of the trail just over the bridge by the boat launch (segment 2) on my way to the dam. I’d come from bright daylight into the dark of the woods and my eyes hadn’t really adjusted. I was aware of some movement near my feet and dismissed it at first as falling leaves.

But when I finally looked down, there were 6 to 8 dark butterflies gathered on the trail. One flew out into the sunlight. It was apparent from its opened wings that it was either an Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma) or a Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis). In the woods, their wings were folded, but it was dark enough that it was impossible to see the tell-tale punctuation mark that would identify them. They weren’t eager to let me bend down of a close look so I resorted to flash-illuminated photos from a distance. When I downloaded the images I as able to identify them as Question Marks. After all, it’s all a question of punctuation: comma or question mark, isn’t it?


The butterfly with opened wings.

The butterfly with closed wings. The question mark is quite clear.

I've been back in the same wooded area a couple of time since. I’ve seen isolated individuals or pairs along in the woods along the trail.

Click on an image to view a larger image


Identification resources:

West Central Georgia Butterflies, Michael Beohm:

- Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis)

- Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma)

Bug Guide:
- Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis)
- Dorsal
view
- Lateral
view
- Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma)

- Dorsal
view
- Lateral view

No comments: