Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fish Spawning: Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio)

We had five inches of rain last weekend. The lake level, which had been 2-1/2 feet low, filled quite quickly. Perhaps not completely full but close to it. I noticed fish thrashing in a small side pool (segment 11) as I drove over a bridge by the lake. I thought at first that they had gotten trapped in this side pool and were trying to find their way out.

When I got closer, however it was clear they weren’t isolated fish, but pairs or groups up to five or six. I think they are Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio). They were spawning in groups along the south shore of segment 11; there must have been more than 100 fish judging by the number of groups that I saw.


I saw the fish first in the small side pool on the left side of the photo

Three fish, resting

Much thrashing and stirring of muddy water

One fish surfaces half out of the water
Click on an image to view a larger image


Identification resources:

- Angler’s Web: Fort Yargo State Park

- Angler’s Web: Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio)

No comments: