Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata)

Bignonia capreolata is known by the common name Crossvine. It’s a vine that grows high up into the trees. I stumbled upon it this year by accident although I realize I had seen in previously in the same spot when I was rowing but couldn’t lean back far enough and stay balanced in the boat while I photographed it. I’d forgotten all about it.

Crossvine occurs on only one area of the lake that I’m aware of – on segment 12 almost to the point at the junction of segments 11 and 12. There was a sand bar in the lee of the point when the lake level was lowered. I had gone out on it to photograph a Red-Spotted Purple (Limenitis arthemis) butterfly.

When I turned around to go back up onto the trail, I noticed these fallen blooms.

The flower – up close.

The vine grows high up in an oak tree.

A closer view of the flowers up in the tree.

Bignonia capreolata
(Crossvine) is native to the southeastern United States. Its range extends to states south from Maryland to Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas to Florida.

Click on an image to view a larger image


Distribution Map:
- United States Department of Agriculture Plants Database: Bignonia capreolata (Crossvine)

- University of North Carolina Herbarium: Bignonia capreolata


Identification resources:

- Southeastern Flora: Cross Vine (Bignonia capreolata)

- Native & Naturalized Plants of the Carolinas and Georgia: Bignonia capreolata (Cross-vine)

Related posts:
- 2010: Year Of The Wildflower

No comments: