Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Uvularia sp.: Perfoliate Bellwort (Uvularia perfoliata)?

Five Uvularia species grow in the Carolinas and Georgia. Based on the leaf shape and the stalked flower arrangement, this plant appears to be either Uvularia grandiflora (Largeflower Bellwort) or Uvularia perfoliata (Perfoliate Bellwort). I didn’t see the flower. However, based on the known geographic disribution of U. grandiflora and U. perfoliata, this species is probably U. perfoliata. So far, I’ve only seen it at Fort Yargo State Park where I saw one plant along the trail on segment 12.

Another plant I almost missed. For a long time I thought the flowers hadn’t developed. I’m inclined to think now that I may have photographed the developing fruit. Can anyone throw any light on this? I’ll have to stalk this plant next Spring and see if I can photograph the bloom.


The plant. It stood about 2 feet high in the woods along the Rock Garden trail.

A closer view of the stem showing the leaf arrangement.

A little closer still.

A close up, May 2nd.

Close up, May 16th.

Rebecca in the Woods sent me this link to her photos of the
U. perfoliata fruit. Thanks Rebecca! This seems to confirm that 'my' fruit didn't develop. A challenge for next year.

The Uvularia species, U. grandiflora and U. perfoliata, are native to the United States and Canada. U. grandiflora has a wider range than U. perfoliata.
U. grandiflora
grows in the eastern United States and Canada. In the United States, it grows in states including, and east of North and South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma and Louisiana; it doesn’t grow in Maine or Florida. In Canada, it grows in Mannitoba, Ontario and Quebec. In Georgia it has only been reported from three counties – Chatooga, Walker, and Floyd - in the far northwest of the state.
U. perfoliata
has a more limited range. In the United States, it grows in states including and east of Indiana, Kentucky, Oklahoma and Texas; it does grow in Maine and Florida. In Canada, it grows only in Ontario. In Georgia it has been reported from many counties.

Click on an image to view a larger image


Distribution Map:

United States Department of Agriculture Plants Database:

- Uvularia perfoliata (Perfoliate Bellwort)

- Uvularia grandiflora (Largeflower Bellwort)

University of North Carolina Herbarium:

- Uvularia perfoliata

-
Uvularia grandiflora

Identification resources:

Southeastern Flora:

- Perfoliate Bellwort (Uvularia perfoliata)

-
Largeflower Bellwort (Uvularia grandiflora)
Natural and Naturalized Plants of the Carolinas and Georgia:

- Uvularia perfoliata

-
Uvularia grandiflora

Related posts:

- 2010: Year Of The Wildflower
- Wildflower Index

2 comments:

rebecca said...

I can't shed any light on which species this is, but those do look like the developing fruits to me - you can see photos on an old post of mine here of bellwort flowers and fruits. http://rebeccainthewoods.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/seeds-and-fruit/

JSK said...

Hi Rebecca. Thanks for the link; I'm adding to my post. I had never seen this plant before so wasn't sure what to expect. It looks like 'my' fruits didn't develop. I've got to build a calendar of plants I want to stalk next year.
This particular section of the lake has proven to be a goldmine for exotic wildflowers. It's a shady area and many flowers blend into the shade. I've been surprised many time.