Friday, October 15, 2010

European Hornet (Vespa crabro)

These are large hornets introduced from Europe. They’re about an inch long. It’s late in the season so they’re moving slowly. None has shown any sign of being aggressive. I’d seen several along the Rock Garden Trail (segment 12) during the last month but hadn’t been able to get a good photograph. So when I found one on the sap tree in the shade, I couldn’t resist coaxing it onto a twig and taking it into the sun to get some macro shots with better lighting.

Sitting on the sap tree.

A view from above.

A view from the side.

Again, from the side.

Head on.

Click on an image to view a larger image

Identification resources:

- BugGuide: European Hornet (Vespa crabro)

- Hornets: Gentle Giants

2 comments:

Maia said...

These macro shots are fabulous and the colors are amazing.
I especially like all the visible details on the third close-up.
Thanks for stopping by.

JSK said...

Thanks. I think that one is my favorite too. The details look even better in the enlarged version. I was surprised how much detail I got.