Chickweed (Stellaria media) is starting to bloom.
The foliage never died back completely during the winter and started to grow actively in February.
The bloom in semi-profile….
The bloom from almost directly above…
When it is really blooming. Chickweed grows better in partial shade than in full sun at our place. The vegetation forms a thick mat that grows up to 18-inches high blooms profusely.
Chickweed is native to Europe but grows throughout the United States and Canada. In addition to finding it at home, I have found it in open areas along the trail between the pedestrian bridge and the gas line in Fort Yargo State Park and near parking lots in Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center.
Click on an image to view a larger image
- United States Department of Agriculture Plants Database: Stellaria media (Common chickweed)
- Shedi de botanica: Stellaria media – Chickweed
- Southeastern Flora: Chickweed (Stellaria media)
- Missouri Plants: Stellaria media
- 2010: Year Of The Wildflower