Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring Azure (Celastrina ladon)

Success at last! Before today, I’d seen three butterflies this year but haven’t been able to photograph or identify them. All three were orange; one was in the woods and two were in the field.

Today, I saw three Spring Azures (Celastrina ladon) at the lake. One was on the trail near a pool of water. The other two were drinking along the lake shore. All were quite skittish.


But I managed to stalk one and got a photograph.
Click on an image to view a larger image


Identification resources:
- West Central Georgia Butterflies by Michael Beohm: Spring Azure (Celastrina ladon)

- BugGuide: Spring Azure (Celastrina ladon)

2 comments:

Joy K. said...

A lovely pose with the shell.

JSK said...

Thank you, but I can't really take much credit.
These could almost be classified as frantic little guys. They hardly land and they're off again. Very frustrating so a feeling of some satisfaction when I get a 'publishable' photo.
I thought they were reacting to me stalking them but I now believe they just can't stay still.