Thursday, April 16, 2015

Cloudless Sulphur (Phoebis sennae)


April 8th. I usually see a lot of Cloudless Sulphur (Pheobis sennae) butterflies in the Fall but I’ve seen several this Spring. Mostly they are on the move looking for food. Recently, I rode down Adcock Road in Walton County where there is a large swamp on Big Sandy Creek that is impounded by a beaver dam.


I found a beautiful display of Trumpet Honeysuckle flowering at the edge of the swamp.


I had to stop and take some photos. 


As I was standing there, a Cloudless Sulphur flew up to feed on the flowers. It flitted from flower to flower and I had trouble keeping up with it. 


Then it stopped on a flower directly in front of me and stayed long enough in this beautiful pose.

Reference: 
- Butterflies and Moths of North America: Phoebis sennae

2 comments:

Ellen Honeycutt said...

Cool, I don't think I've ever seen them in the spring but I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

JSK said...

I'm beginning to wonder if I wasn't paying attention either. It's possible that some wintered over since we had such a mild winter.