Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Spring Walk At Fort Yargo State Park: Shelter A To The Old Fort, 16th April, 2015 (Part 2)

April 16th. (Continued from…) I started to walk again at Fort Yargo State Park in Winder, Georgia. One of my favorite walks is from the Group Shelter A to the Old Fort and back.This is a rewarding walk for viewing wildflowers and I’ve been trying to walk it weekly and document the wildflowers I see.


The route, which I described here. Things, in the way of Spring wildflowers, was starting to warm up on my most recent walk, documented here, here and here. It had been raining and it was still cloudy so I had to use artificial light for photographs. I continued around the Fishing Area… 
The Green Arrow Arum (Peltandra virginica) plants were thriving. 

When I continued into the ‘Rock Garden,’ I found some Smallflower Pawpaw (Asimina parviflora); one still had a flower and the stems were leafing out. I hadn’t realized that these plants were in this part of the park either. 
  
The Eastern Sweetshrub (Calycanthus floridus) in the Rock Garden were blooming. The flowers in this area were a deep maroon.

There were some excellent Woolsower galls in this area. 


The new leaves of the wild ginger Little Brown Jug (Hexastylis arifolia) had developed and pushed the leaves away from the flowers that were now exposed. 

The Rock Garden had a special atmosphere after the rain. 

I found a Perfoliate Bellwort (Uvularia perfoliata) beside the trail. There was one flower, and… 
It looked like the older flower might be going to develop a seedpod. (Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the plant on my next walk). 

Another Solomon’s Seal was blooming near the end of the Rock Garden. 

This patch of ferns marks the end of the Rock Garden trail. 

I walked along the trail to the Old Fort, and then… 

back toward the Fishing Area. 

I found these spectacular Woolsower galls just before I got back to the Fishing Area. 

The trail just south of the Fishing Area, and… 

approaching the cliff, followed by the… 

trail at the top of the cliff. 

The buds of the Strawberry Bush (Euonymus americanus) were still developing. One bud in each cluster was dominant. 

Then south over the ‘root steps,’ and… 

through the woods back to the parking lot. 

There was one final surprise which has remained a mystery. 



I found a gall on the leaf stem of a cluster of oak leaves that had fallen from a tree during the recent windy storms. I haven’t been able to identify the gall, possibly because it was too early in its development to see its mature form. Too bad.

Related posts:

No comments: