Saturday, May 23, 2015

Spring Walk At Fort Yargo State Park: Shelter A To The Old Fort, May 6th, 2015 (Part 2)


May 6th. (Continued from… ) I started to walk again at Fort Yargo State Park in Winder, Georgia. One of my favorite walks is from the Group Shelter A to the Old Fort and back.This is a rewarding walk for viewing wildflowers and I’ve been trying to walk it weekly and document the wildflowers I see.


The route, which I described here, here, and here.
 
As I started towards the Rock Garden, I found a couple of small shrubs blooming out over the water.


I think this is an Arrow-wood viburnum (Viburnum dentatum). The shrub has opposite leaves that have serrated margins. However, I couldn’t reach the flowers to get a closer look.


A Virginia Sweetspire (Itea virginica) was setting buds.


The Resurrection Ferns (Pleopeltis polypodioides) were curling up as they dried in the absence of rain.
  

The seedpod on a Eastern Sweetshrub (Calycanthus floridus) by the trail in the Rock Garden was still developing.

I’d been following a Perfoliate Bellwort (Uvularia perfoliata) plant that hadn’t died back after blooming, indicating that it might develop a seedpod. However the flower stem I’d been following wasn’t showing any sign of enlarging. It finally occurred to me to look at the leaf behind another flower on the side of the plant away from the trail and found…


a seedpod that was developing. Again, I’ve never seen a seedpod develop on a Perfoliate Bellwort. Hopefully this seedpod will develop to maturity.


I made my way along the trail to the…


Smallflower Pawpaw (Asimina parviflora) plants. Some fruit were still developing.


As usual, I completed my walk along the main trail to the Old Fort.


As I turned to walk back down the trail I saw some Spring Azure (Celastrina ladon) butterflies. I've seen a lot of these this spring.


As I made my way back along the trail from the Old Fort, I found more fallen…


Tulip Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera) flowers.

When I got back to the Fishing Area, I poked around among the...


Elliott’s Blueberry (Vaccinium elliottii) plants. One of the plants had a good crop of berries.


Looking back along the trail to the Fishing Area as I walked south.


All that remained of the Pink Lady’s Slipper (Cypripedium acaule) plants that had been blooming just south of the Fishing Area for the last few weeks.


Heading further south, there were still more fallen…


Tulip Poplar flowers.
  

One of two Pipsissewa (Chimaphila maculata) plants developing flowers in the woods just north of the first bridge.

I startled another…


Five-lined skink as I walked to the first bridge. I also startled a small Eastern Fence Lizard (Sceloporus undulatus) nearby but didn’t manage to photograph it before it disappeared into the safety of the leaf littler.


I’d been hoping to find some Virginia Sweetspire with opened blooms and, finally, found some by the first bridge. These are so pretty when the flowers are fully opened.

Related posts: 

No comments: