Sunday, September 13, 2015

Summer At Fort Yargo State Park: Shelter A To The Old Fort, July 27th, 2015 (Part 1)

July 27th. I started to walk again at Fort Yargo State Park in Winder, Georgia. One of my favorite walks is from the Group Shelter A to the Old Fort and back.This is a rewarding walk for viewing wildflowers and I’ve been trying to walk it weekly and document the wildflowers I see.


The route, which I described here, here, and here. The early spring wildflowers have finished blooming; it’s time to watch the developing fruit. Summer wildflowers were blooming now.


The Virginia Meadowbeauty (Rhexia virginica) a.k.a. Wingstem Meadowbeauty, Deergrass, Handsome Harry, were still blooming by the lake shore near the...


fruit on the Strawberry Bush (Euonymus americanus) still showed no sign of any pink.


The Starry Rosinweed (Silphium astericus) was still blooming in the shade by the trail nearby.


I found a Cranefly Orchid (Tipularia discolor) in bloom in the shade a little further along the trail.


In the open area between the two woods, a Silver-spotted Skipper (Epargyreus clarus) was feeding on another…


Virginia Meadowbeauty flowers. In this same area…
 
Groundnut (Apios americana) vines were beginning to bloom.


At the edge of the woods, Winged Sumac (Rhus copallinum) was also blooming. 

As I started along the trail through the edge of the woods, I saw movement on the trunk of a pine tree. It was a…


cheeky, young male Eastern Fence (Sceloporus undulatus) Lizard that procedded to play hide-and-seek with me until I finally managed to get a shot of him (that I rotated 90 degrees for better viewing).


The berries on the Solomon’s Seal (Polygonatum biflorum) plants in the woods just before the first bridge were still green. I begin to wonder if these will ever ripen..


The Pipsissewa (Chimaphila maculata) also take a long time to mature. On the other hand but I know these will ripen in time.


The fruit on the first Eastern Sweetshrub (Calycanthus floridus) had changed from distinctly yellowish the previous week to showing a lot of brown – well on it’s way to ripening.


The seed capsules of the Wild Yam (Dioscorea villosa) vines were still green although something had damaged one of the capsules.


I spotted another Cranefly Orchid in bloom in the woods below the Wild Yam vine.

The Nakedflower Ticktrefoil (Desmodium nudiflorum) plants were giving a fine display of developing loments; none, however, showed any sign of the stickiness that would result in them being carried off and distributed throughout the woods.


The seed capsules on the witchhazel bush (Hamamelis sp.) remained unchanged, and the…


the flower buds developing for this season looked healthy. 

From here, I continued along the cliff and down to the Fishing Area after a little surprise. 
(To be continued…) 

Related posts:

No comments: