Sunday, July 19, 2015

Summer At Fort Yargo State Park: Shelter A To The Old Fort, June 22nd, 2015 (Part 2)


June 22nd. (Continued from… I started to walk again at Fort Yargo State Park in Winder, Georgia. One of my favorite walks is from the Group Shelter A to the Old Fort and back.This is a rewarding walk for viewing wildflowers and I’ve been trying to walk it weekly and document the wildflowers I see. 


The route, which I described here, here, and here. 

The early spring wildflowers have finshed blooming; it’s time to watch the developing fruit. A few late spring/summer wildflowers are blooming now. 

The Buttonbushes at the end of the bridge into the Fishing Area were still blooming. There were…


buds,...


flowers in full bloom,...


flowers that had finished blooming, and some that were…


ready to form seeds.


Some Carolina Wild Petunias (Ruellia caroliniensis) were still blooming.


Nearby, a Red-spotted Purple (Limenitis arthemis) was resting. It was so hot that the butterflies were closing their wings as soon as they landed.


In the ‘Rock Garden,’ the seed capsule on the Perfoliate Bellwort (Uvularia perfoliata) was still doing well, as were the…


seed capsules on the Pipsissewa (Chimaphila maculata) plants. 

As I was walking down the trail to the Old Fort, I was startled so see a…


Large jelly fungus that had grown on a small, fallen tree trunk. This was a…


Snow Fungus (Tremella fuciformis). This is an edible fungus and, when I was identifying it, I was a little amused to find more information on commercial, rather than scientific, sources of information for it.


In addition to the large fungus, there were some small patches of this same fungus at the opposite end of the trunk. 

On my return walk along this same section of trail I noticed a large patch of fungus on a fallen log just beyond the Snow Fungus. I almost ignored it but decided to make my way through a jumble of fallen tree trunks to take a closer look. I’m glad I did. I was expecting to find a crust fungus but may have found…

something much more interesting. More of that next…

Related posts:

No comments: