Thursday, August 6, 2015

Summer At Fort Yargo State Park: Shelter A To The Old Fort, June 29th, 2015 (Part 2)


June 22nd. (Continued from…) I started to walk again at Fort Yargo State Park in Winder, Georgia. One of my favorite walks is from the Group Shelter A to the Old Fort and back.This is a rewarding walk for viewing wildflowers and I’ve been trying to walk it weekly and document the wildflowers I see.


The route, which I described here, here, and here. 

The early spring wildflowers have finished blooming; it’s time to watch the developing fruit. A few late spring/summer wildflowers are blooming now.


The Buttonbushes (Caphalanthus occidentalis) at the end of the bridge into the Fishing Area had almost finished blooming.


Not all of the florets had been fertilized, giving rise to ‘uneven’ development of fruit on the flower head.


In the ‘Rock Garden,’ I found another Wild Yam (Dioscoria villosa) with quite a few seed capsules.


Nearby, Smooth Yellow False Foxglove (Aureolaria flava) plants were blooming.


The Resurrection Fern (Pleopeltis polypodioides) growing on the tree trunk a little further along the trail had dried up again.


The Perfoliate Bellwort (Uvularia perfoliata) still had its seed capsule.


Heading towards the bigger boulders.


The Resurrection Ferns on the boulders were still ‘alive.’ I guess they are more protected from drying in this spot.


I saw the first Indian Woodoats (Chasmanthium latifolium) of the season on this section of the trail.


I made my way off the Rock Garden trail and back onto the main trail over to the Old Fort.


I did have a goal for venturing out of the woods on this walk. When I drove in, I noticed the Swamp Rosemallow (Hibiscus moscheutos) blooming at the edge of the water. I always look forward to seeing these bloom.


One of many clusters of buds, and…


opened blooms to enjoy.


I noticed the first sprouts of Floating Primrose-Willow (Ludwigia peploides) for the season. These were covered with small insects.


I made my way back through the woods, past the Rock Garden trail, and…


along the main trail back to the Fishing Area. 

It’s always worthwhile to approach the bridge out of the Fishing Area cautiously. You’re never sure what you might spot from the bridge. On this walk, I spotted a…


Female Yellow-sided Skimmer (Libellula flavida), and a…


small Yellow-bellied Slider (Trachemys scripta scripta) that…


swam away when it realized it had been spotted.


The last spotting of the day were the seemingly ubiquitous Blue-fronted Dancers (Argia apicalis).

Related posts: 

No comments: