Saturday, December 19, 2015

Summer At Fort Yargo State Park: Shelter A To The Old Fort, August 31st, 2015 (Part 2)

August 31st. (Continued from… ). I started to walk again at Fort Yargo State Park in Winder, Georgia. One of my favorite walks is from the Group Shelter A to the Old Fort and back.This is a rewarding walk for viewing wildflowers and I’ve This is a rewarding walk for viewing wildflowers and I’ve been walking it every week and documenting the wildflowers that I see.




The route, which I described here, here, and here.
 

The early spring wildflowers have finished blooming; it’s time to watch the developing fruit. Summer wildflowers were still blooming but it was time to turn attention to the fungi in the woods.

In the woods, just before I crossed the ‘first’ bridge, I checked on the…



Solomon’s Seal (Polygonatum biflorum) fruit that were black now; probably ripe.


The seed capsules were still developing on the Pipsissewa (Chimaphila maculata) just past the bridge.


Further along the trail, the seed capsule on the Eastern Sweetshrub (Calycanthus floridus) was completely ripe. These capsules may remain attached to the plant into the winter. I’ll be checking to see how long this capsule hangs on.


The seeds in the Wild Yam (Dioscorea villosa) were visible though the seed capsule but they weren’t ripe. They hadn’t changed in the previous week.


The seed capsules  and flower buds on the witchhazel (Hamamelis sp.) hadn’t changed either;


neither had the seed capsules on the Mountain Azalea (Rhododendron canescens).


The second Eastern Sweetshrub fruit. It would now be a waiting game to see how long the fruit remained on the bush.


Just south of the Fishing Area bridge, I found this bolete with an exquisitely reticulated stem. I believe that it’s Atkinson’s Bolete (Boletus atkinsonii), a member of the Boletus edulis (King’s Bolete) group. This species has a dry, leathery cap compared with the sticky cap of B. edulis.


The fruit on the Buttonbush (Cephalanthus occidentalis) were unchanged from the previous week. I wondered how long it would take for these to mature.


At the south end of the main Fishing Area, I found a Spicebush Swallowtail (Papilio troilus) enjoying the sun.


At the north end of the Fishing Area, more clusters of the the mushrooms, tentatively identified as a Hypholoma sp. (possibly H. fasciculare), I had seen the previous week had grown. were in various stages of development.


Groundnut (Apios americana) was still blooming at the water’s edge.


In the woods along the Rock Garden trail, I found some…


Hairy Elephantfoot (Elephantopus tomentosus) still blooming.


The Resurrection Fern (Pleopeltis polypodioides) were hydrated.


Most of the seed capsules on the Wild Yam (Dioscorea villosa) vine just below the Resurrection Fern had almost completely matured.


The shade in these woods was a welcome relief from the summer’s heat.


The fruit on the Eastern Sweetshrub in these woods had matured too.


The Broadleaf Ironweed (Vernonia glauca) plant was still blooming nearby.


I was surprised to find a Small Wood Sunflower (Helianthus microcephalus) in these woods.



I was also surprised to find a Smooth Yellow False Foxglove (Aureolaria flava) blooming. I thought these had finished for the year.


My final sighting on the Rock Garden trail was this beautiful Frost’s Bolete (Exsudoporus frostii). 

Then, back to the main trail towards the Old Fort.
(To be continued…)

References: 
- Mushroom Expert. Kuo, M. (2010 March): Boletus atkinsonii
- Mushroom Expert. Kuo, M.(2013 December): Exsudoporus frostii (Boletus frostii)
- Go Botany: Helianthus microcephalus
 
Related posts: 

No comments: